...as Radiohead nearly sang on 'Pablo Honey'.
Put simply, it turns out that things which were already brilliant can be improved yet more by simply DOUBLING THE AMOUNT OF DRUMMERS.
Right from the start of this evening's Radiohead gig at Greenwich Enormodome, Phil Selway had a new drumming friend.
Double the drummers, double the impact of the drum sound. It actually adds a great dimension to their live sound (particularly from 'Amnesiac' era onwards).
Again, to prove this was not a one-off, spot the new drummer with Johnny Greenwood.
(OK he looks a little bit like Phil. Probably alike enough to cover for Phil if Phil was needed for ceremonial duties at the AGM of his Japanese 'Phil Is Great' fan club, without those further back in the Enormodome actually noticing).
Still, there are two drummers, this time behind Thom Yorke's 'special Dad' dance-a-thon.
(And Thom Yorke's dancing is VERY special. I particularly like the way he is getting less and less inhibited about his dancing as he gets older. I feel like we have a bit of a bond in this area...).
But it did not end there. Oh no. By this point Johnny Greenwood had had a meeting with himself and also decided to join in with a bit of drumming.
Clearly the excitement was too much for him, and he almost lost his hair.
It's discreet, but here you can clearly see that Colin Greenwood was looking longingly at Phil's drums, and wondering if he could have a go too.
(I wonder if that's why Colin has grown a short beard. Perhaps he thinks it makes him look more like a drummer?)
By this point in the set it was, frankly, getting a little drum silly. One of the roadies had taken to hanging around in case he would be allowed to have a go on the drums for good behaviour.
(Note that the roadie is pretending not to look at the drum kits, in the same way that dogs always pretend not to look if anyone around them has food).
When they played 'There There' Ed O'Brien also started drumming. But then he always does that, and so that's allowed.
I should be fair and state that at no stage across this evening's gig at the O2 did I see any evidence of Thom Yorke drumming, or even looking like he wanted to. But give it time.
...Radiohead summer 2013 with six drummers? Probably not as outlandish as you'd think!
(Bloody good gig, by the way. I'll re-post a setlist when I can find one online, cos I was too busy enjoying the 2 1/2 hours to remember).






