"...and now the end is near, and so I face the final curtain."
Well, these last few days have been amazing. I'm exhausted, and I think I have a broken foot as a war wound (typing this 'what I did on Sunday' post up on Monday, I can tell you I caught my big toe in my sleeping bag in the night and cracking it back in, so that must have been dislocated. I'm still in a lot of pain, so will be heading to Whipps Cross A and E for an x-ray when I get home).
Will I be back next year? HELL YEAH!
Anyway, I guess the Airwaves organisers know people are drained by the Sunday, and some even have to start heading home. Well, they put less bands on, anyway. So, a Grái Kötturinn brunch, a walk around Tjornin (yes, with the suspected broken foot and associated pain... I am an idiot!), and a look at some cool graffiti
then it was time to head into Rock World again.
GIG FORTY SEVEN Elly had been telling me about a great Yorkshire band for a while, so we headed off to Havari to see Rolo Tomassi at Havari. Sound: "Mathcore" to the hipsters. Jagged-edged guitar thrash to me. Loud but goooood
Track: Party Wounds will wake you up and shake the hangovers away!!
From: Yorkshire, England!
GIG FORTY EIGHT: Yunioshi were another band a few of the others had been raving about, so I joined Elly & Mark to see them play an acoustic set in lovely, cosy Hemmi og Valdi. Sound: They describe their sound as "robot funk", and who am I to disagree?!
Track: Yunioshi Rocks
From: Nottingham, England
(EDIT: a couple of months later, I found a YouTube recording of this gig. You can even see Elly, Mark and I lurking in the background if you're bored enough to seek us out).
GIG FORTY NINE was a bit of a time-killer, but a look at the listings guide said there was a band called Foreign Monkeys playing at Sodoma, so where do you think I went?! Being honest, I was just a bit disappointed that they had absolutely nothing to do with monkeys, and weren't that good (just an average, really average, garage rock band). Anyways, it was time to move on to...
GIG FIFTY having loved them so much on day three, I had to head downstairs from Sodoma to see Reykjavik's party to launch their new video for 'Internet' at Venue. Especially as the connecting doors to Bakkus were open, and there was free beer for all!
Boas, as ever, got bored of the stage and made an escape bid into the crowd.
A jolly good ROCK time was had by all.
And finally, I guess I should point you in the direction of the aforementioned video
(filmed in Kaffibarinn).
GIG FIFTY ONE was the Samuel Jon Samuelsson Big Band at Nasa. They're a big band! From: Iceland. And actually, this type of music is massively polarising, so I'm just going to let you watch them and judge for
GIG FIFTY TWO...well... I was just waiting for the finale and resting my foot, and I wouldn't have picked Dan Deacon at Nasa. But actually there was a huge amount of fun to be had, with Dan jumping into the crowd and creating a circle pit for a dance off.
Sound: Disco
Track: Dunno, the one they played during the dance-off!
From: US
GIG FIFTY THREE was how and where Airwaves 2010 ended. I think I can sum it up in a single word: BLOODYWELLTHANKYOUVERYMUCHFOREVERYTHINGAIRWAVES!!!! Otherwise known as FM Belfast (and friends) at Nasa. I was a beer (or nine) down by this stage, but I think the story goes...
1) It started out like a normal gig, and the FM Belfast boys were all looking very smart in their dickie bows.
2) Then Retro Stefson came onstage in matching football shirts and there was MORE COWBELL
3) Then more people joined, and most of those onstage got down to their Underwear. And they ran up the hill. OVER THERE!
Did I miss anything?
Sound: I'm sticking with how I called it two days ago.... bouncy, fun-as-hell disco/electro
Track: Underwear. Again. What a great way to close a festival!
And so, my Iceland Airwaves 2010 Final score: Bands 44 - 53 Sets
Well, these last few days have been amazing. I'm exhausted, and I think I have a broken foot as a war wound (typing this 'what I did on Sunday' post up on Monday, I can tell you I caught my big toe in my sleeping bag in the night and cracking it back in, so that must have been dislocated. I'm still in a lot of pain, so will be heading to Whipps Cross A and E for an x-ray when I get home).
Will I be back next year? HELL YEAH!
Anyway, I guess the Airwaves organisers know people are drained by the Sunday, and some even have to start heading home. Well, they put less bands on, anyway. So, a Grái Kötturinn brunch, a walk around Tjornin (yes, with the suspected broken foot and associated pain... I am an idiot!), and a look at some cool graffiti
then it was time to head into Rock World again.
GIG FORTY SEVEN Elly had been telling me about a great Yorkshire band for a while, so we headed off to Havari to see Rolo Tomassi at Havari. Sound: "Mathcore" to the hipsters. Jagged-edged guitar thrash to me. Loud but goooood
Track: Party Wounds will wake you up and shake the hangovers away!!
From: Yorkshire, England!
GIG FORTY EIGHT: Yunioshi were another band a few of the others had been raving about, so I joined Elly & Mark to see them play an acoustic set in lovely, cosy Hemmi og Valdi. Sound: They describe their sound as "robot funk", and who am I to disagree?!
Track: Yunioshi Rocks
From: Nottingham, England
(EDIT: a couple of months later, I found a YouTube recording of this gig. You can even see Elly, Mark and I lurking in the background if you're bored enough to seek us out).
GIG FORTY NINE was a bit of a time-killer, but a look at the listings guide said there was a band called Foreign Monkeys playing at Sodoma, so where do you think I went?! Being honest, I was just a bit disappointed that they had absolutely nothing to do with monkeys, and weren't that good (just an average, really average, garage rock band). Anyways, it was time to move on to...
GIG FIFTY having loved them so much on day three, I had to head downstairs from Sodoma to see Reykjavik's party to launch their new video for 'Internet' at Venue. Especially as the connecting doors to Bakkus were open, and there was free beer for all!
Boas, as ever, got bored of the stage and made an escape bid into the crowd.
A jolly good ROCK time was had by all.
And finally, I guess I should point you in the direction of the aforementioned video
(filmed in Kaffibarinn).
GIG FIFTY ONE was the Samuel Jon Samuelsson Big Band at Nasa. They're a big band! From: Iceland. And actually, this type of music is massively polarising, so I'm just going to let you watch them and judge for
GIG FIFTY TWO...well... I was just waiting for the finale and resting my foot, and I wouldn't have picked Dan Deacon at Nasa. But actually there was a huge amount of fun to be had, with Dan jumping into the crowd and creating a circle pit for a dance off.
Sound: Disco
Track: Dunno, the one they played during the dance-off!
From: US
GIG FIFTY THREE was how and where Airwaves 2010 ended. I think I can sum it up in a single word: BLOODYWELLTHANKYOUVERYMUCHFOREVERYTHINGAIRWAVES!!!! Otherwise known as FM Belfast (and friends) at Nasa. I was a beer (or nine) down by this stage, but I think the story goes...
1) It started out like a normal gig, and the FM Belfast boys were all looking very smart in their dickie bows.
2) Then Retro Stefson came onstage in matching football shirts and there was MORE COWBELL
3) Then more people joined, and most of those onstage got down to their Underwear. And they ran up the hill. OVER THERE!
Did I miss anything?
Sound: I'm sticking with how I called it two days ago.... bouncy, fun-as-hell disco/electro
Track: Underwear. Again. What a great way to close a festival!
And so, my Iceland Airwaves 2010 Final score: Bands 44 - 53 Sets