Anyway, Friday proper started at the Islenski Barinn with the 'Brunch Of Legends'; Bob's idea for ensuring the meeting of great blogging minds. Elly, Mark & Wim have already been mentioned in the course of days 1 & 2, Veerle was missing in action (already checking out bands). I was just there cos I had nothing better to do (NB. I'm not dissing the company, I just don't think I'm a 'legend'!). . And, once a quick coffee had kicked my hangover across Austurvöllur Square, they served beer ;-)
GIG TWENTY ONE Despite there being lovely food at the Islenski Barinn, team decision was burgers at Hresso so we could listen to Chateau Marmont .
Sound: synth-y, but a bit on the Jean Michelle Jarre-y (and therefore disrespectable) side, rather than the Kraftwerk-y one
Track: 'Nibiru' is probably the best of an average bunch of their own stuff, though I do like their remix of Ladyhawke's 'My Delirium'.
From: France
GIG TWENTY ONE-POINT FIVE! I'm claiming a half-point on a technicality, as this was a film and not a gig. But the screening of the Icelandic music documentary film Backyard at Bíó Paradís cinema absolutely needs a mention.
A bit of a whistlestop tour to the Icelandic music scene, Árni Sveinsson's film shows Hjaltalín, MÚM, Borko, Reykjavík! , Retro Stefson, FM Belfast and Sin Fang playing a relatively impromptu gig in Árni Rúnar Hlöðversson (from FM Belfast)'s backyard. Hence the title!
BACKYARD from Árni Rúnar on Vimeo.
GIG TWENTY TWO, following the film, was a set from Reykjavik! in the foyer of Bíó Paradís. I can say but two things:
1) I LIKE. LIIIIIIKKKKKKEE!
2) In the very near future it will become a truth universally acknowledged that Boas is the most rock 'n' roll primary school teacher IN THE WORLD.
Sound: LOOOOUUUUUDDDD!! RAAAWWWWKKKK!!(NB. Massive undersell, but if you like Biffy Clyro, try a proper upgrade)
Track: 'Cats' (which is on their Myspace , but not Gogoyoko)
From: Iceland
GIG TWENTY THREE followed on neatly, with FM Belfast next up in the foyer of Bíó Paradís. I said 'neatly' rather than swiftly as, quite sweetly, they refused to start until Lóa Hlín Hjálmtýsdóttir 's Mum arrived! Lots of energy and enthusiasm, trouser-removal and plenty of hero-worshiping of Borko then ensued.
Sound: bouncy, fun-as-hell disco/electro
Track: 'Underwear' which is, quite clearly, the anthem of Airwaves 2010
From: Iceland
GIG TWENTY FOUR saw the fun bus departing down to the lakeside to Idno once more, where The Vandelles were on.
I wasn't expecting anything, and was really rather surprised. By the spiky rocky sounds coming from the stage, but also by the lurid lurex trainers of the photographer in front of me. Shoreditch is missing you, love ;-)
Sound: the Jesus & Mary Chain moved to Brooklyn and started jamming with the Raveonettes
Track: the massively catchy 'California Killer'
From: USA
GIG TWENTY FIVE was the event of the early evening: Mugison at Idno.
Watching him bring out his part-synthesiser, part-spaceship, it was clear that it only needed to be combined with a Teasmade (remember them? A brief Google and it turns out you can still get them, and there's an online shop and museum ?! But I digress...) to make the perfect instrument.
Sound: He's had changes, but abounds in the eclectic, lo-fi and experimentally musical. Perhaps if Beck took a sabbatical to join the Super Furry Animals we might be getting closer...
Track: 'I'm On Fire'. Plus his version of Tom Waits' 'A Little Trip To Heaven' (because I love the Baltasar Kormákur film).
From: Iceland
GIG TWENTY SIX A complete change of pace (and a much shorter than anticipated queue) meant it was time for Bloodgroup at NASA.
Refer to day one, however tonight's was a much larger and wider sound (due to backing strings). I remain true to the fact that I don't usually like such an eighties electro sound, but these I LIIIIKKKE :)
GIG TWENTY SEVEN heralded time for Hjaltalin, again at NASA, with your humble correspondent possibly boogieing away like an idiot somewhere away to the left (hence the blurry photos!).
Sound: bassoon-tastic, and very cinematic. Ranging from echoes of Aaron Copland to Acid Jazz, via Burt Bacharach and Phil Spector (musically, not as in shooting your ex!)
Track: 'Traffic Music' is more chilled, 'Feels Like Sugar' full-on Spector
From: Iceland
GIG TWENTY EIGHT Can you go and see a band purely because their album is called 'Adopt A Monkey'? Well yes it is (particularly if you're me, and love monkeys!), and I did for Caterpillarmen at Amsterdam.
The only surprising thing was that I had company, given that the Airwaves programme referred to these lads having a Hammond organ in their repertoire. Turns out I'm not the only one that's a complete sucker for the aforementioned instrument...
Sound: Frank Zappa, after having eaten too much Haribo. Unfortunately, not as rare, groovy or even Doors-y as I'd have hoped.
Track: 'Cloverhead'. Though 'Monkey See Monkey Doo' gets an honourable mention on name alone. (These lads aren't quite Half Man Half Biscuit, but they do give good name action).
From: Iceland
GIG TWENTY NINE involved a huge walk (three doors down!) to Risid for the fab Hafdis Huld . Former singer of GusGus, provider of the haunting, ethereal vocals on FC Kahhuna's 'Hayling' , now gone solo, her character songs and perfect pop can't fail to charm.
Sound: kooky, endearing pop
Track: 'Action Man' ("about the guy who lived next door to me. He seemed really interesting but he was probably, y'know, just a tax man or something...").
From: Iceland
GIG THIRTY I'd heard a few things about Manchester band Hurts , though most of them weren't too complimentary. Still the Art Museum was quite literally over the road and I had a bit of a gap to fill...
One of the better (and lengthier) write-ups on the Airwaves artist page gives you chapter and verse with much more background than I could, so I'll leave it to them.
Sound: 80s (which is probably why I don't like 'em, but if that's your bag then go for it)
Track: um... none for me. 'Wonderful Life' if I had to pick one on their Myspace
From: UK
GIG THIRTY ONE. High time to head across to Idno to see Nora's main show.
Having been rather impressed with what I saw yesterday, I can safely say they raised the bar. I think they closed on Bólaheiðfall, which is rapidly becoming a favourite of mine. They just make me sway, skip and smile. Great band :)
GIG THIRTY TWO was a stop-by to meet mates on the way to a bar, to see Æla at Faktory. Essentially, I was yelled at by scary rock in ladies underwear and animal masks. And, whilst I was drunk by this point, I was not that drunk that I could be making this stuff up.
Sound: mental metal
Track: the one that goes "aaaarrrrggggh" from behind a rabbit mask. Really!
From: Iceland & the Faroe Islands
The score, at it stand at the end of day three, is: Bands 29 - 32 Sets